Bed Bug Infestation Only BUGCO Could Find – BUGCO Podcast Episode 1
Welcome to the first episode of the BUGCO Podcast talking about a bed bug infestation spread in an unusual way. Field Service Manager Jeff Murrell talks about a recent inspection for a bed bug infestation at the home of a bedridden senior citizen. For bed bug inspection and treatment, please call us at 281-240-2157.
Summary of the Bed Bug Infestation Podcast
– My name is John Onofrey, and I’m with BUGCO Pest Control. I’m speaking with Jeff Murrell, our field manager at BUGCO Pest Control, and Jeff, how are you doing today?
– Guys I’m doing good.
– It’s a wet day outside, it’s been raining pretty heavy here in Houston today, and you know I was taking with Chris Millward earlier today, who’s our vice president of operations, and he told me an incredible story, and I wanted to get it straight from the horse’s mouth, because the way he was relaying it to me, I thought, man that’s a great story, we need to somehow get this story out, to people who are considering using our services. The reason why is, you know I think this story truly embodies the spirit of our customer service attitude at BUGCO, and I think it also demonstrates how BUGCO provides better pest control services to customers than the other big three brand names in the Houston area. So Jeff, I’m going to throw it back at you. This recently happened, what, within the last day or two, so you go ahead and tell this story in your own words.
– Okay, I guess actually this all happened yesterday. I was called out for an unusual bed bug infestation, where the 90 year old father was absolutely bedridden, they can’t move them out of the house. But somehow I’m going to get bed bugs. Now when I found out about it when I pulled up, I saw another company’s there, it was a national company. Alright, it’s unusual that everybody shows up at once, so, Lord me, I’m not shy at all, I’ll even go up in there anyway, I’m here and I’m going to go and see this. They let me in, and I’m watching these guys flip furniture, they’re looking behind paintings, they’re doing this. One company even had a dog, with the dog sniffing around, and nobody’s finding anything. Everybody’s missing the most obvious part, there’s right in one little corner, with what looks like a chair that you can then see how it indented in the carpet. Now the wall had what looked like wall carpeting, it’s almost like a covered baseboard that you’d see at a hotel, but with only at the wall. And I ask the lady, “Is this thing very important to you?” She goes, “Not at all.” And I reached over, and I just pulled this little flap back, and I found bed bugs, and a mouse. You should have seen the look on everybody else’s face. They had all kinds of little gadgets, trying to find bed bugs, the dog to find bed bugs. The moral of the story is, if you’re not doing the proper inspection in the first place, you’re not going to find them, I don’t care what tools you have. And I was able to find them, and gave her a good solution for the problem. And yeah the company’s work, talking thousands of dollars to take care of her. I was the one who came up with a chemical-free approach, so her daddy could still be in the house while we treat, and be able to use that room the same day.
– Right, so, I mean if I understand this story correctly, this gentleman was over 90 years old, and he was bedridden, and he was getting bitten by bed bugs is that right Jeff?
– No he was not getting bit, it was their staff that was getting bit.
– The staff?
– The staff, like they have about seven care providers that pop in on a daily basis to take care of him, he has to have 24-hour care. And they were the ones getting bitten. And once I found the source, we came up with a plan on how to keep them out now, ’cause we know one of them actually are bringing them in.
– One of the caretakers?
– Yeah, one of the care providers is going to another facility where he was working at, and obviously is bringing bed bugs with him.
– Right, you know that’s not the first time I’ve heard that story with regards to caretakers coming to take care of a patient in-home, and bringing bed bugs with them, either from other patients that they’re serving, or maybe even from their own homes. You know, who knows, but the fact of the matter is some of these care providers are in fact bringing in bed bugs, and they’re there to help these people, and they kind of create some extra problems like a bed bug infestation, that’s a big concern.
– You know, it is a big concern, but the care providers don’t even realize they have a bed bug infestation half the time. They’re going from one place to another, one that already has an issue, but they’re not saying anything at the time. They’re not really expecting you know, they’re professionals. So naturally, you say they’re getting on them, and they’re carrying them back there from another person’s home where they’re providing care, and the bed bugs hop off, I don’t know if they would hop off, they’d just walk off, and then find another place to hide. Next thing you know they’re breeding in the nice old corner and you have a bed bug infestation there.
– Right, and you know, we’ve talked about this before in one of our other videos, that I think with you, about how bed bugs are just hitchhikers, and that they’re going to hitch a ride if they find a host, you know they’re going to grab on to that host, and take a ride and feed as long as they can, and then they’re going to move. They’re going to move to the next opportunity, so very interesting. Hey Jeff, you know, this story is a great story. Number one, for the reason is that you were able to help this client, and be able to take care of this bed bug infestation, so that it’s not any longer going to be a concern, but you know what tickles me, is that there were three other companies there, representatives looking for a bed bug infestation. They had technology, and they also had, one of them had, what was it, a beagle, or some other type of dog?
– It was actually a Labrador Retriever.
– It was a Labrador Retriever, and these are all big name companies, well-known companies. They went in there, they took a look around, they didn’t find the bed bug infestation. You did, and from listening to your story, they were witnessing you find these bed bugs?
– Oh yes, they saw me find them, you should have seen the look on their face, ’cause none of them even bothered, nobody bothered to ask the question, “What was over here?” If you don’t properly service a customer, there are some questions you need to ask them, ’cause they lose things, “What was over here?” And when you find out, hey, there was a chair over here, and they used to sit here, ’cause they would have to watch the poor fella that’s lying in the bath, alright? Well that’s the red flag for me. Okay, let’s look over here right quick, and I pull that thing back, and sure enough, and the look on the faces of our competitors, it was just awesome.
– You know, I think I would say, I would have paid good money to be there with you, to see that happen.
– Well, it’s funny, I’m going out on a call, I texted Chris on the way out, I beat the dog. You get that, I’m just trying to figure out what that meant, but that’s all I guess.
– Well, so, I guess at this point now, we’ve kind of christened you with a new nickname, and that’s going to be Hound Dog Jeff Murrell, right? Hound Dog Jeff. Hey listen Jeff, I know you guys have been real busy, it’s the summertime, this is the height of the season for us. I heard another story too, and I just, I kind of want to blindside you with this one. I heard this story about a customer of ours, they’d been a longtime customer, they have a termite warranty with us. Either we did a treatment for them, or they got on our termite plan. But they called us, they had termites. It turned out to be a species of termites that is not covered under the warranty that they had, because this was a subterranean treatment we did before, but they turned out having a different type of termite, but we covered it anyway, we took care of it anyway. Tell me the story, when did it happen, did it happen today? I just heard of it.
– Yes, actually we went out there today, John Malt and I went out there today. We got the call yesterday, and I happened to be at the office, and I was the one put on how to handle this, ’cause they were afraid of upsetting a customer. Hey they just paid for a termite treatment about a year and a half ago, and they wanted to know if their warranty was still live, which technically it was, but it just didn’t cover this. Well that’s naturally going to upset a customer. Well the last thing we want to do at BUGCO is upset a customer, hey let’s go take a look at this, let’s see what the thing really is. And getting out there they remembered me, ’cause I was the one who did their termites, and they were perfectly satisfied, and I explained that no this one isn’t covered, but we’re going to take care of this for you today, alright? We caught it early. Since we caught it early, we’ll be able to get you taken care of, no charge whatsoever. If you had waited like some people do, and it got serious, then it’s going to be, we maybe have to tent your house, and that’s when it gets expensive, and I told them the price of that procedure, and they were thrilled I was there. But, the thing is you’ve always had, you always believe in taking care of our customers. That’s the most important part.
– You know, that’s kind of our culture at BUGCO, and we drive that down through to our technicians, to our customer service reps, that are sitting in the call center taking calls, so that you know everybody is on-board with the fact that customer care is job number one. We want to make sure we keep our customers happy, and that we’re providing solutions for them. You know Jeff, I’m just ecstatic that everything worked in this case, that we were able to go out there and handle something to the customer’s satisfaction. We did it even though it wasn’t within the scope of our warranty, we did it anyway, because we want happy customers at BUGCO. It’s funny because I was just talking to my neighbor yesterday. She had an air conditioning problem, and she was three days outside of her warranty, and they wanted to bill her $1,700 for a clogged drain issue on her secondary drain on her air conditioner, and I thought to myself, “You know, “how can companies stay in business very long, “treating customers like that.” You’re certainly going to get a bad reputation. If that was BUGCO, and it was three days outside the warranty, and the customer just called us, you know, we should and we will go out there, and take care of this person. You know, it’s just the right thing to do, and that’s what we try to do at BUGCO. So that’s a great story Jeff, I appreciate you sharing that with us, and I just want to mention to anybody that might listen to this recording, that BUGCO Pest Control is a Houston-based company, a local Houston-based company. We’ve grown by leaps and bounds over the last few years, and the reason that we have done that, is because we treat customers as job number one, we’re going to go out there, we’re going to do the right thing. We’re there to solve customer issues when it comes to pest control, and we don’t get into a bunch of other businesses like other companies do, like trying to fix your air conditioner, trying to fix your water heater, we focus on pests, we’re good at it, that’s what we do. So, if you have any pest control issues that you’re grappling with, help us figure it out for you. It’s BUGCO Pest Control, BUGCO, BUGCO.org, 281-240-2157. Hey Jeff, thanks so much for joining me today in this call, I know you’re busy, I’m going to let you go out there, and get out there and do your so-called rat killing, alright buddy?
– You got it bud, I’ll see you later.
– Alright, have a great day.
– Alright, bye bye.
Suspect a Termite or Bed Bug Infestation?
Call BUGCO Pest Control at 281-240-2157 today or fill out the contact form at right. BUGCO is owned by a Marine Corps veteran and we offer pest control discounts to veterans, first responders and other groups. Whether you qualify for a discount or not, our prices are very reasonable, and our licensed pest control technicians are professional and customer-focused.